December 8, 2013

growing pains

 Just about every day some well-intending, concerned adult approaches me and asks me, essentially, what my plans are for more or less the rest of my life. I have trained myself to smile and simply reply, “I don’t know yet” while on the inside I just want to scream! I HAVE NO IDEA, IT’S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, HOP OFF! The pressure truly is overwhelming. While these people have undoubtedly good intentions, the truth is it is extremely frustrating to answer the same questions over and over again with a consistent answer. Growing up is tough, and I am expected to have incredible insight as it pertains to my future at an age where I can’t even legally live by myself. In other words, our society places some of life’s most important decisions in the hands of a person that is not legally in control of their own life yet. Ohh, the juxtaposition! And yet, I am well aware, believe me, that most people in the world have it far worse off than I do. I am very grateful for the opportunity to have these types of decisions to make and the means by which to make them a reality. Still, the responsibility is a lot on one person with a short amount of time to figure it out, that’s all I’m saying.
So to kind of tie all of those ideas together, here are 5 things I want to be in the future that have absolutely nothing to do (okay, maybe a little) with education:
  1. Generous
  • "To whom much is given, much is required" ~Luke 12:48 
  • My granny always says: Do what you can, with what you can, while you can. In the future, I want to do everything in my power to help those around me. After all, someone chose to help me.
     2. Loved
  • "The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return" ~Moulin Rouge
  • I have never been in love and also have that person love me, and I would like to know what it’s like.
     3. Independent 
  • One of the things I’m most excited about for the future is being COMPLETELY independent and being able to take care of myself! I just picture myself living it up, paying my bills on time, and being a functional adult. These are the types of skills that should actually be explored in our school system, but that’s a topic for another day :) Still, being independent is something that I am truly aiming for—not just financial success.
 4. A mommy
  • Sometime waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy down the line, I would love to have my own children. A lot of people say a mom’s love for her child is the closest thing on earth to Christ’s love for us
  • "…And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." ~Ephesians 17b-19
 5. Happy
  • I don’t want to filled with the superficial, fly-by-night type of happiness. True joy can only come from Christ. I want to be able to take good news and bad news with elegance, grace, and a hint of FABULOUS !
Sorry not sorry for the long blog post :3
Stay sassy
*rr

No comments:

Post a Comment